Skip the syrup and top this breakfast staple with a cocoa-citrus twist.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (+10 minutes)
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
Give Sunday brunch an indulgent upgrade.
- Put chocolate in a bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat cream and maple syrup. When mixture is hot, pour over chocolate. Using a whisk, mix until sauce is blended. Reserve at room temperature for pancakes. (Makes about one cup. Sauce can be prepared in advance and stored in a sealed glass jar for 4 days in a refrigerator. Warm to serve.)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with sugar, vanilla and milk. Gradually add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until a homogeneous paste is obtained. Leave dough to rest for about 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly oil the pan. When the pan is hot, pour about 1/3 cup (80mL) of dough into centre of pan and cook each pancake 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve pancakes with chocolate sauce and garnish with orange slices.
Maître Chocolatier Tip
For a more traditional chocolate sauce, use Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate.