Mole is a Mexican staple that has been used in dishes for hundreds of years. It’s easy to see why: thanks to dark chocolate and spices, the flavour is complex and deliciously rich. Use it to dress up dishes like chicken, tamales and even eggs for breakfast.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Servings: 4 cups
Don’t let the ingredient list put you off – this chocolate and spice-filled sauce celebrates a symphony of flavours to enrich multiple dishes.
- Place 3 cups (750mL) water in a small pot and add seeded ancho chilies. Bring water to a low boil, then turn heat to medium-low and simmer until chilies are softened (about 10 minutes). Remove chilies from the water but do not discard water.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt and garlic and cook two more minutes. Add cinnamon and oregano, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add fire-roasted tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add all remaining spices, along with the Lindt Excellence 99% cacao dark chocolate pieces, pumpkin seeds, raisins, sesame seeds, peanut butter, chipotles and a large pinch of salt. Stir well. At this point you can add some liquid to loosen the mixture – some of the chili water as well as some of the chicken stock just to liquefy slightly and to help blend.
- Place entire mixture in the bowl of a food processor and blend until fairly smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping down sides as needed.
- Return to pan and add chicken stock until you have the desired ketchup-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook on low for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce can be used immediately or can be refrigerated for one week in an airtight container. When ready to use you can add chicken stock to thin it.