Whether you’re looking for something sweet to have on hand for a weeknight dessert, or planning a dinner party menu, this rich and creamy chocolate mousse is a classic for a reason. And its light and airy texture is often welcome when dessert is desired but bellies are full.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 6 hours of chilling
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- In double boiler over medium-low heat, combine chocolate and butter, stirring until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in hot water and orange liqueur (if using). Set aside.
- Whip cream just until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and thickened. Add chocolate mixture, stirring just until combined. Using a spatula, fold in whipped cream.
- Transfer to serving bowl or divide into individual cups. Cover mixture with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Before serving, garnish with more whipped cream, shaved chocolate and, if desired, mint leaves.
Maître Chocolatier Tip
Try using this delicious mousse to fill your favourite cake or as a replacement for the profiterole filling.