The Montreal-based mother of three boys lives an active life, which is why she prefers “healthier recipes for my family,” she says. “I added flax seeds and exchanged the butter for coconut oil in these bars, but I still remember how good the original cookies were when my mom and grandmother made them.” Everyone in the family enjoys the sweet and salty flavour so much that the first batch is inevitably gobbled up way too quickly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15–20 minutes
- Servings: 24 bars
A sweet and savoury snack that packs a healthy, chocolate-dipped punch – and can be easily made gluten-free.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine coconut oil and sugar. Beat until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add in egg and beat well to combine, about 1 minute, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized bowl combine whole-wheat flour, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and large flake oats. Add flour mixture to coconut oil and egg mixture. Mix well to combine, until mixture comes together and forms a dough, about 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in chopped Lindt Excellence 78% Cacao, cranberries and chopped pecans.
- Scrape mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Press evenly into the pan using your hands or the bottom of a measuring cup. Bake in centre of oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until bars are golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan to cool completely. Before cutting, let bars cool at least 2 hours. Slice into 24 even bars.
- To decorate bars as seen here, melt 2 bars of Lindt Excellence 78% Cacao Dark Chocolate in a small bowl so that chocolate is deeper for easy dipping. Immerse corner of the bar in chocolate and place on parchment paper. Place in the fridge for 10 to 20 minutes to set. Note: If you’re tucking cookie bars into a decorative package, wrap them in wax paper first.
Substitution tip: Lindt Excellence 78% Cacao Dark Chocolate can be substituted with Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate or Lindt Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate
Maître Chocolatier Tip
At Lindt we temper our chocolate to give it its glossy sheen. The process involves heating and cooling the chocolate to prevent crystallization.