A homemade batch of this tasty tipple is perfect for enjoying year-round or packaging up in reusable bottles as a thoughtful host gift or party favour.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes (+3 hours chilling time)
- Servings: 6 to 8 (makes 11 cups)
A delicious dark chocolate twist on a classic recipe.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or double boiler.
- Whisk yolks with sugar and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Pour in milk and cream and whisk until fully combined.
- Transfer to a large pot and set over medium heat. Add cinnamon sticks. Cook, whisking often, until mixture reaches 180°F (82°C) on an instant read thermometer, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Whisk in melted chocolate until no chocolate flecks remain.
- If adding alcohol, stir in 1 ½ cups dark rum into chilled eggnog base. (If you prefer to keep the bulk of the batch non-alcoholic, you can add a single shot per glass upon request.)
- Transfer to a clean bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill completely, at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove the eggnog base from the refrigerator. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk eggnog base until smooth. In 3 additions, gently stir egg whites into chilled eggnog base until no streaks of egg white remain. Serve immediately with freshly grated nutmeg or chill until ready to use.