Nothing says Saturday morning like the sweet smell of fresh-baked cinnamon buns wafting through the house. Treat family or guests to an extra-special brunch with a warm batch of these rolls, made with a filling of cinnamon and Lindt Excellence Sea Salt Dark Chocolate.
- Prep Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 15
These gooey, heavenly scented rolls are the perfect weekend treat.
- In small bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in ½ cup (125 mL) warm water. Sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy (10 minutes). Meanwhile, in another bowl, whisk milk with egg and vanilla. In a large bowl, whisk flour with cinnamon, salt and ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar.
- When yeast is foamy, whisk into egg mixture with 3 tbsp melted butter. Stir into flour mixture as best you can. Turn onto floured surface. Knead to form smooth dough (8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl. Turn to coat. Lay damp cloth over bowl. Let rise in warm place until doubled (about 2 hours).
- Grease a 9×13-inch (23×33 cm) baking dish and set aside. Break chocolate into pieces and place in food processor with brown sugar. Whirl until finely ground (about 45 seconds). It may have tiny pieces in it. Pour in the remaining butter. Pulse until even in texture (about 15 pulses).
- When dough has risen, roll into a 14-inch (35 cm) square. Evenly cover with chocolate mixture, leaving ½-inch (1 cm) border. Firmly press into dough.
- Starting with side closest to you, roll up dough. Pinch dough to seal seams. Using a serrated knife, trim away uneven ends. Slice roll into 15 buns. Place cut-side-down in dish. Lay a damp towel over dish. Let rise 45 minutes.
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until buns are golden (25 to 30 minutes). Let buns cool 15 minutes. For icing drizzle, whisk 1½ cups (375 mL) icing sugar with about 2 tbsp milk. Use a fork to drizzle over buns.