A buttery biscuit with a crumbly texture, shortbread has been a delicious indulgence since the 18th century. This adaptation adds Lindt Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate to create the best modern version of the traditional Scottish recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (10 minutes chilling)
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Servings: 24
Dark chocolate and shortbread combine in these delectable cookies.
- Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in flour, 1/2 cup (63g) at a time; mix until all flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Working on lightly floured surface, roll dough out until approximately 1/2 inch (1cm) thick; cut into 24 rectangles. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, placing 1 inch (2.5cm) apart. Top each cookie with one piece of chocolate.
- Bake, in batches, for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies just begin to brown. Cool for two minutes; sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Cool completely on baking sheets before transferring to storage containers.
Note: You can melt down your favourite chocolate and drizzle the tops of the cookies for that extra chocolatey flavour.
Maître Chocolatier Tip
Many flavours of Lindt Excellence work as substitutions for the Excellence 70% Dark Chocolate used here. Try the recipe using Excellence Orange Intense, Coconut or Intense Mint.