Whether you serve this showcase-worthy dessert with a top layer of candied orange slices or au naturel, you can’t go wrong. Its balanced flavours and perfect texture (a result of being baked in a water bath) will have guests reaching for seconds.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 10 to 12
Citrus and chocolate make the perfect pair in this rich, creamy cheesecake.
- Heat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Wrap 10-inch (25cm) diameter springform pan in foil; lightly grease inside of pan with butter. Place springform pan in large roasting pan.
- Stir together vanilla wafers and butter. Press wafer mixture evenly over bottom of springform pan.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping down side of bowl occasionally. Add sugar and sour cream; beat until combined.
- Place chocolate in heatproof bowl. In saucepan, bring orange juice to a boil over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, being careful not to splash.
- Add chocolate mixture to cream cheese mixture and beat until combined, scraping down side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Spoon cheesecake mixture over crust, smoothing top. Transfer cheesecake to oven; pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of springform pan. (Tip: Wrapping springform pan in foil helps ensure against water leaking into the crust while baking the cake in a hot water bath.)
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until side of cake is set but centre of cake is still slightly soft. Remove from water bath and let cool before serving.