This flourless torte recipe is a deceptively easy crowd-pleaser, incorporating Lindt Excellence 85% Cacao Dark Chocolate for a rich taste and moist texture – without being overly sweet.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8–10
Mastering this perfect take on a gourmet dessert is a must for modern dinner parties.
- Heat oven to 300°F (150°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch (23cm) diameter springform pan with butter. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Place springform pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a double boiler over medium-low heat, melt chocolate, stirring until smooth. (Or melt chocolate in microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl on medium heat in 20-second increments, stirring after each interval, until smooth.) Remove from heat; whisk in butter, sugar, almonds and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in egg yolks.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites, one-third at a time, into chocolate mixture. Do not over-mix the batter, but make sure all egg white has disappeared.
- Transfer mixture to prepared springform pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for one hour, or until edge has set and middle has risen and cracked slightly.
- Let cool completely in the pan (to room temperature). Then run knife around edge of cake and remove side of the springform pan.
- You can decorate the top of the cake with a stencil and some icing sugar. If desired, top with sweetened whipped cream after slicing.
Note: For neat presentation, use a wet knife to slice the cake, wiping the blade between cuts.
Maître Chocolatier Tip
For a more decadent taste, add a hint of coffee to bring out the richness of the chocolate. You can also use your favourite extract (orange, almond, mint) to add a different flavour to the cake.