Sunny days are on their way, and so come weekend BBQs and lazy afternoons with friends. Ribs are an all-time favourite for such occasions and a perfect match for this tangy sauce, made with a touch of Lindt Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 3/4 cup (enough for 4 to 5 pounds of ribs)
A touch of high percentage cacao adds depth and character to this rich BBQ rib sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes), stirring often. Add all the dry spices, black pepper, salt and garlic. Cook for another minute or two until spices are fragrant.
- Stir in ketchup, honey, lime juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Take pan off heat. Stir in chopped chocolate until melted. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- To cook baby-back ribs, start by coating them with a dry rub seasoning (store-bought, or make your own with equal parts salt, pepper, paprika and brown sugar). Refrigerate them, covered, for 3 hours.
- Roast ribs in a 300ºF (150ºC) oven covered with foil or on indirect heat on a BBQ with the lid closed for 2.5 hours.
- Finish ribs by brushing them with the chocolate BBQ sauce and broiling them in the oven or over direct heat on the BBQ to give them colour and a little char.
Maître Chocolatier Tip
When stirring the chocolate into the BBQ sauce, use a whisk to help the cacao particles disperse evenly throughout the mixture.