- Prep Time: 20 Minutes (+2 hours cooling)
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 12
The humble breakfast treat gets the VIP treatment with the addition of dark chocolate.
Chocolate Banana Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter one 9×5-inch loaf pan and line with one strip of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar with melted butter on medium-high until well combined, one minute. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in mashed bananas, yogurt and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and mix until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in chopped chocolate until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake, in centre of the oven, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean, about one hour. Let cool ten minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely, about two hours.
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- Place chocolate in a medium-sized heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot heat cream over medium heat and bring just to a simmer. Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate so it is completely covered. Let stand until chocolate has melted, about two minutes. Add butter and whisk until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Let ganache cool until thick enough to spread over the cooled cake, about 1 hour. Spread icing evenly over top of loaf. Top with fresh or sugared edible flowers.
Substitution Tip: Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate can be substituted with Lindt Excellence 78% Cacao Dark Chocolate.